ONLINE INFORMATION MANAGEMENT AND ELECTRONIC MESSAGING
|Publication Date:||31 December 2018|
Purpose: In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5144.02, this issuance:
• Establishes policy, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures for:
o Conducting, establishing, operating, and maintaining electronic messaging services (including, but not limited to, e-mail) to collect, distribute, store, and otherwise process official DoD information, both unclassified and classified, as applicable.
o Managing official DoD information on the DoD Information Network and other networks, i.e., online.
• Provides a compendium of policies and procedures critical to successful online information management and electronic messaging.
APPLICABILITY. This issuance:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this issuance as the "DoD Components").
(2) Official DoD information online, DoD electronic messaging, and DoD electronic messaging services, including when used or operated by non-DoD-entities.
(3) Contractors and other non-DoD entities that are supporting DoD mission-related activities, including accessing official DoD information online, conducting DoD electronic messaging, or operating electronic messaging, and electronic messaging services, to the extent provided in the contract or other instrument by which such authorized support or access is provided.
b. Does not apply to DoD Component use of electronic messaging specifically for penetration testing, communications security monitoring, defensive cyberspace operations, personnel misconduct and law enforcement investigations, and intelligence-related