DODD 1400.25 VOL 410
DoD Civilian Personnel Management System: Training, Education, and Professional Development
|Publication Date:||25 September 2013|
a. Instruction. This instruction is composed of several volumes, each containing its own purpose. The purpose of the overall instruction, in accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5124.02 (Reference (a)), is to establish and implement policy, establish procedures, provide guidelines and model programs, delegate authority, and assign responsibilities regarding civilian personnel management within the Department of Defense.
b. Volume. This volume:
(1) Establishes policy, assigns responsibilities, and establishes procedures for programs, administration, and evaluation of training, education, and professional development (TE&PD) activities for civilian employees.
(2) Incorporates and cancels DoD Instruction (DoDI) 1430.04 (Reference (b)), DoDI 1430.17 (Reference (c)), Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (USD(P&R)) Memorandum (Reference (d)), Assistant Secretary of Defense for Force Management Policy Memorandum (Reference (e)), Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Civilian Personnel Policy Memorandum (Reference (f)), and Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Civilian Personnel Policy Memorandum (Reference (g)).
APPLICABILITY. This volume:
a. Applies to OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities in the Department of Defense (referred to collectively in this volume as the "DoD Components").
b. Applies to TE&PD activities covered by chapter 41 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.) (Reference (h)) and part 410 of Title 5, Code of Federal Regulations (Reference (i)) that are conducted, sponsored, contracted, or funded in whole or in part by the DoD Components. This volume is directly aligned with Reference (i) and must be used in concert with it. Where this volume is silent, the guidance contained in Reference (i) applies without DoD supplementation. This includes but is not limited to TE&PD activities, to the extent not specifically addressed in other DoD issuances, for:
(1) Supervisory, managerial, and executive development of civilian employees covered by part 412 of Reference (i).
(2) Employees covered by the DoD Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS), as established by DoDD 1400.35 (Reference (j)), only to the extent permitted by law and applicable regulations.
(3) Employees in civilian positions paid from appropriated and non-appropriated funds worldwide, only to the extent permitted by law and applicable regulations.
c. Does not apply to:
(1) DoD-conducted, -sponsored, -contracted, or -funded TE&PD activities the primary mission of which is training, education, or professional development of military personnel.
(2) Organizations, employees, and activities excepted by the President pursuant to section 4102 of Reference (h).