Industrial a.c. Networks Affected by Harmonics - Application of Filters and Shunt Capacitors
|Publication Date:||1 September 1997|
|ICS Code (Other electrical accessories):||29.120.99|
|ICS Code (Other equipment related to power transmission and distribution networks):||29.240.99|
|ICS Code (Power capacitors):||31.060.70|
Scope and object
This International Standard gives guidance for the use of passive a.c. harmonic filters and shunt capacitors for the limitation of harmonics and power factor correction intended to be used in industrial applications, at low and high voltages. The measures proposed in this standard are applicable to harmonic orders greater than 1 and up to and including 25.
The following capacitors are excluded from this standard:
- capacitors for inductive heat generating plants, operating at frequencies between 40 Hz and 24 000 Hz (see IEC 60110 *);
- series capacitors for power systems (see IEC 60143 );
- coupling capacitors and capacitor dividers (see IEC 60358 );
- power electronic capacitors (see IEC 61071 );
- AC motor capacitors (see IEC 60252 );
- capacitors for use in tubular fluorescent and other discharge lamp circuits (see IEC 61048  and IEC 61049 );
- capacitors for the suppression of radio interference;
- capacitors intended to be used in various types of electric equipment and thus considered as components;
- capacitors intended for use with d.c. voltage superimposed on a.c. voltage;
- capacitors intended for use with arc furnaces.
The object of this standard is to identify problems and give recommendations for general applications of capacitors and a.c. harmonic filters in a.c. power systems affected by the presence of harmonic voltages and currents.
* Figures in square brackets refer to the bibliography given in annex A.