ETSI - PRETS 300 159
Satellite Earth Stations (SES); Transmit/Receive Very Small Aperture Terminals (VSATs) Used for Data Communications Operating in the Fixed Satellite Service (FSS) 11/12/14 GHz Frequency Bands Second Edition
|Publication Date:||1 January 1995|
This draft European Telecommunication Standard (ETS) provides specifications for the standardization of the characteristics of transmit/receive Very Small Aperture Terminals (VSATs) operating as part of a satellite network (e.g. star, mesh or point-to-point) used for the distribution and/or exchange of data between users.
In such a network a Centralised Control and Monitoring Function (CCMF) is responsible for the monitoring and control of VSATs.
These VSATs have the following characteristics:
- they operate in the exclusive part of the Ku-band allocated to the Fixed Satellite Services (FSS), 14,00 to 14, 25 GHz (Earth-Space), 12,50 to 12,75 GHz (Space-Earth), and in the shared parts of the Ku-band, allocated to the FSS and Fixed Services (FS), 14, 25 to 14, 50 GHz (Earth-Space) and 10,70 to 11,70 GHz (Space-Earth);
- in these frequency bands linear polarization is normally used and the system operates through satellites at 3° spacing;
- they are designed for unattended operation;
- they are limited to the reception and transmission of baseband digital signals;
- they have an antenna diameter not exceeding 3.8m, or equivalent corresponding aperture.
The equipment considered in this ETS comprises both the "outdoor unit", usually composed of the antenna subsystem and associated power amplifier and Low Noise Block (LNB), and the "indoor unit" composed of the remaining part of the communication chain, including the cable between these two units.
This ETS applies to the VSAT with its ancillary equipment and its various terrestrial ports, and operated under the conditions which are within the ranges of humidity, temperature and supply voltage declared by the manufacturer.
Requirements on EMC aspects are contained in ETS 300 673 .
This ETS does not contain any requirement, recommendation or information about the installation of the VSATs.
This ETS deals with two types of specification:
- specification defined in order to protect other users of the frequency spectrum, both satellite and terrestrial, from unacceptable interference. In addition, these specifications are specified for the purposes of electrical safety and structural safety as well as protection from harmful interference;
- specifications related to characteristics with contribute to the quality of reception by providing the VSAT with minimum interference protection from other radio systems.