ETSI - PRETS 300 159
Satellite Earth Stations (SES); Transmit/Receive Very Small Aperture Terminals (VSATs) Used for Data Communications Operating in the Fixed Satellite Service (FSS) 11/12/14 GHz Frequency Bands
|Publication Date:||1 January 1992|
This ETS provides specifications for the standardisation of the characteristics of transmit/receive Very Small Aperture Terminals (VSATs) operating as part of a satellite network used for the distribution and/or exchange of data between users.
In such a network a Centralised Control and Monitoring Function (CCMF) is responsible for the monitoring and control of remote VSATs.
These VSATs have the following characteristics:
- operating in the exclusive part of the Ku-band allocated to the Fixed Satellite Services (FSS), 14,00 to 14,25 GHz (Earth-Space), 12,50 to 12,75 GHz (Space-Earth), and in the shared parts of the Kuband, allocated to the FSS and Fixed Services (FS), 14,25 to 14,50 GHz (Earth-Space) and 10,70 to 11,70 GHz (Space-Earth);
- in these frequency bands linear polarisation is normally used and the system operates through satellites at 3° spacing;
- designed for unattended operation;
- limited to the reception and transmission of baseband digital signals;
- equipped with one, or several terrestrial ports but the total aggregate information bit rate transmitted towards the satellite through these ports shall be limited to 2,048 Mbit/s;
- antenna diameter not exceeding 3,8 m, or equivalent corresponding aperture.
The equipment considered in this ETS comprises both the "outdoor unit", usually composed of the antenna subsystem and, associated power amplifier and Low Noise Block (LNB), and the "indoor unit" composed of the remaining part of the communication chain, including the cable between these two units.
This ETS does not contain any requirement, recommendation or information about the installation of the VSATs. Nor is this ETS intended to apply to VSAT network hub stations.
This ETS deals with two types of specification:
a) Essential normative requirements (indicated in Clause 4)
Requirements are specified in order to protect other users of the frequency spectrum, both satellite and terrestrial, from unacceptable interference. In addition, requirements are specified for the purposes of electrical safety, structural safety and solar radiation protection as well as protection from harmful interference.
The test and measurement procedures associated with the normative requirements detailed in Clause 4 of this ETS shall be performed and the criteria met in order to demonstrate compliance with this ETS.
b) Recommendations (indicated in Clause 5)
These are related to characteristics which contribute to the quality of reception by providing the VSAT with minimum interference protection from other radio systems.
The test and measurement procedures associated with the informative recommendations detailed in Clause 5 of this ETS are given for verification purposes only. The compliance with the recommendations will not be taken as a condition to comply with this ETS.
All tests related to the requirements shall be performed and the results shall be entered in the data sheet of the test report. The ability to comply with the recommendations shall also be noted in the data sheet of the test report.