Road transport and traffic telematics — Dedicated short range communication (DSRC) — DSRC application layer
|Publication Date:||1 February 2007|
|ICS Code (Transport in general):||03.220.01|
|ICS Code (IT applications in transport):||35.240.60|
This International Standard specifies the application layer core
which provides communication tools for applications based on DSRC.
These tools consist of kernels that can be used by application
processes via service primitives. The application processes,
including application data and application-specific
This International Standard is named "application layer", although it does not cover all functionality of OSI Layer 7 and it includes functionality from lower layers.
It uses services provided by DSRC data link layer, and covers functionality of intermediate layers of the "OSI Basic Reference Model" (ISO/IEC 7498-1).
Figure 2 illustrates the global data flow between the parts of the DSRC stack (physical, data link and application layers) and the application.
The following subjects are covered by this International Standard:
- application layer structure and framework;
- services to enable data transfer and remote operations;
- application multiplexing procedure;
- fragmentation procedure;
- concatenation and chaining procedures;
- common encoding rules to translate data from abstract syntax ASN.1 (ISO/IEC 8824-1) into transfer syntax (ISO/IEC 8825-2:2002) and vice versa;
- communication initialisation and release procedures;
- broadcast service support;
- DSRC management support including communication profile handling; and
- extensibility for different lower layer services and application interfaces.
It is outside the scope of this International Standard to define a security policy. Some transport mechanisms for security-related data are provided.
NOTE No implementation of the "broadcast pool" functionality has become known. "Broadcast pool" functionality is therefore considered untested.