NAVY - OPNAV 5354.1G
(N17) NAVY EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM
|Publication Date:||24 July 2017|
a. To issue policies and standards to aid in the prevention of harassment and unlawful discrimination throughout the Navy, define requirements, and assign responsibility for implementation of the Navy Equal Opportunity (EO) Program per references (a) through (m).
b. This is a complete revision and should be reviewed in its entirety. A summary of changes to this instruction are outlined in subparagraphs 1b(1) through 1b(7).
(1) Oversight for the sexual harassment prevention and response program has been removed from this instruction. A separate sexual harassment prevention and response instruction has been developed, under OPNAVINST 5300.13.
(2) Establishes command climate specialist (CCS) billets at echelon 2 commands and echelon 3 commands with subordinate commands.
(3) Includes sexual orientation as a basis for unlawful discrimination, includes gender identity as a form of sex discrimination, and prohibits harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity), national origin, and sexual orientation.
(4) Provides a more detailed responsibilities section.
(5) Implements a standardized informal report process and an anonymous report process and enhances the formal report process.
(6) Provides a harassment or unlawful discrimination retaliation awareness brief.
(7) Details the command climate assessment process, to include renaming the command assessment team to the command resilience team (CRT).
a. This instruction applies to the personnel contained in subparagraphs 3a(1) through 3a(3).
(1) All Navy personnel, both active and reserve, midshipmen of the United States Naval Academy (USNA) and the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) while on active duty for training.
(2) Reserve personnel when performing active or inactive duty for training, or engaging in any activity directly related to the performance of a Department of Defense (DoD) reserve duty or function.
(3) Members of other Services when assigned or attached to a Navy unit.
b. Civilian employees who raise allegations of harassment or unlawful discrimination must be referred to the appropriate servicing equal employment opportunity (EEO) office.