CENELEC - EN 60335-1
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety Part 1: General requirements
|Publication Date:||1 October 2002|
|ICS Code (Domestic electrical appliances in general):||97.030|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This European Standard deals with the safety of electrical appliances and machines for household environment and commercial purpose, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and machines and 480 V for other appliances and machines.
NOTE Z1 Examples of appliance for household environment are appliances for typical housekeeping functions used in the household environment that may also be used by non expert users for typical housekeeping functions:
• in shops, offices and other similar working environments;
• in farm houses;
• by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments;
• in bed and breakfast type environments.
NOTE Z2 Household environment includes the dwelling and its associated buildings, the garden, etc.
Appliances and machines intended to be used by expert or trained users in shops, in light industry and on farms, and appliances and machines which are declared to be for commercial use by lay persons are within the scope of this standard.
Additional requirements for such appliances are given in Annex ZE.
NOTE Z3 Examples of such appliances and machines are catering equipment, cleaning machines for commercial use, and appliances for hairdressers.
NOTE Z4 Criteria applied for the allocation of products covered by standards in the EN 60335 series under either the Low Voltage Directive (LVD) or the Machinery Directive (MD) are given for information in Annex ZF.
This standard deals with the reasonably foreseeable hazards presented by appliances and machines that are encountered by all persons. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 2 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 3 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- audio, video and similar electronic apparatus (IEC 60065);
- appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601);
- hand-held motor-operated electric tools (IEC 60745);
- personal computers and similar equipment (IEC 60950);
- transportable motor-operated electric tools (IEC 61029).